When you hear about gingivitis, you probably know right away that it’s something that’s bad for your oral health. You know that “-itis” means an inflammatory disease. What you may not be as familiar with is the fact that your “gingiva” is your gum tissue. Put these two together and you’ve got the inflammation of your gums, which is an oral disease. As for the details surrounding where it comes from, whether it’s dangerous, and more, do you know much? We can get a feel for your current level of knowledge with a quiz. (Of course, if you think it’s affecting you, schedule a visit immediately).
Quiz Questions: True or False?
- True or False: There’s no difference between gingivitis, periodontal disease, gum disease, and periodontitis. They’re all synonyms for the same level of inflammation of your gum tissue.
- True or False: Preventing this earliest stage of gum inflammation is usually quite difficult and can require some specialized approaches for success.
- True or False: There’s nothing we can do to treat early inflammation of your gum tissue. Once it starts, it will continue for the rest of your life but we will help you address it and keep it under control.
- False. These are not all identical. Gingivitis is the very first stage of gum disease/periodontal disease. Periodontitis is the full-blown version of this issue.
- False. It’s actually fairly simple to avoid this problem with your gum health. When you brush and floss according to our guidelines and suggestions (and you’re committed to coming in to see us for checkups and cleanings), teeth and gums stay clean and healthy.
- False. Fortunately, this is the stage of gum disease that we can most easily and thoroughly treat, often reversing it and restoring your gum health.
Protect Gums From Gingivitis With Our Help
Learn more from us regarding how to prevent gingivitis by seeking professional dental care at our practice. Learn more by scheduling a visit in Prairie Village, KS by calling Robert M Browne, DDS at (913) 901-8585.